"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands". Prov.14:1 (NASB)

Friday, October 9

Homemade Chicken Broth

I recently posted a recipe of my bone broth. I mentioned I do make clear broth sometimes by using skin on/bone in chicken breasts. Well I thought I should come back to share with you how my clear chicken broth looks in case anyone was confused. It’s just like the one you buy at the store in the cans/carton, but I get to control what ingredients is or is not in it.

IMG_20150422_222208_097As I stated before I just cook a few bone in/skin on chicken breasts in 6-8 cups of water until done. I take out the pieces of chicken and lay aside to cool down. I strain the broth, pour into big glass canning jars, let cool down, cover, and then refrigerate over night. In the morning I take the jars of broth out and remove the fat off the top layer that has risen. I pour broth into ice cube trays to freeze a few hours or use right away in a dish I’m cooking. Once the broth has frozen I pop out the cubes into 1-2 gallon size (already dated/labeled) Ziploc bags. As for the chicken I pull off the skin and bones and put into a different Ziploc bag I have for used bones and put in freezer to use for a new batch of bone stock.  I chop or shred the meat and divide into quart size Ziploc bags to freeze. I love to have these on hand for meals like casseroles, soup, salad, sandwiches, fajitas, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, chicken pizza, buffalo chicken dip, or whatever other uses you can think of. Just think about things you would use canned chicken for. The sky is the limit with what you can do with this.

Note: You can add veggies like chopped onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and some herbs to your water if you want more flavor, vitamins, and nutrients in your homemade chicken broth. At times I season my broth with a little salt and pepper, but have been known to leave it out since I’m going to season the dish I’m cooking it in. Also note to stock up on chicken breasts when they go on sale for 99 cents a pound. I buy 3-4 family packs just so I can have 1 reserved for making homemade broth and have cooked chicken on hand :-)

 Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Printfriendly