"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands". Prov.14:1 (NASB)

Thursday, October 8

My New Do...

My beautiful picture
*Repost from T0B 5/3/13-

I mentioned yesterday about me having done something new to my hair. I had been agonizing and praying over a year about some problem places on my head. When I would talk to my husband about it he would suggest I just cut all my hair off and just start back over. I'm thinking "NO WAY...ain't gonna do it". You may be wondering what's up and why I would need to do that. You see back in 2010 when I decided to go natural and did not want to do a BC (big chop) because I didn’t think I could handle seeing my hair all cut off like a man. Don’t get me wrong I see some women wear their hair that way and I think it’s cute on THEM. I was just insecure of how it would look on ME. So I ended up transitioning for almost 9 months, During that time I would give myself a monthly trim were I cut an inch off each time. I had planned on going a whole year but I grew tired of caring for the two textures so I cut off the rest of my permed ends that remained.

After I was finally free meaning I was now only wearing my natural unprocessed hair I fell in love with my new hair. I had to get to know this hair and learn what it needed to grow and stay healthy. Now on to the "why" I mentioned above. Everything was fine until I decided to do my first blow out on my 1 year natural anniversary. I noticed the sides of my hair did not look right like the rest of my head did. I was in search of more products to use to help with repairing and conditioning and later learned about the CG (curly girl) method. It helped all the other parts of my hair but the sides remained dry and frizzy looking. Heck it wouldn’t even curl like it was supposed to. It was rough looking so I kept it covered with my other hair. This was really disappointing and upsetting. My thoughts were that my hair was badly damaged from the chemicals and heat I used on my hair all the years I wore a perm. I thought after cutting off the permed ends I would see healthy natural hair but that wasn’t the case with the hair on the sides of my head. My scalp underneath this hair had some irritation with redness and peeling skin. Something needed to be done because it wasn’t getting better. Again my husband would suggest I go ahead and cut it all off and start fresh.

I was not ready to sacrifice all the hair I worked hard to grow the last 2.5 years. I often said I just may cut it all off before I turn 40 but I was unsure about that (I don't have long to go). I had the same feelings come up in me that I had before making the decision to go natural. I recognized the thoughts and emotions right off the bat. I came up with a solution to my damaged hair dilemma. I started looking at photos of women with Mohawks and side hair cuts to see what look I could go for without looking crazy. Hubby was excited when I finally said I was ready to get rid of this hair that troubled me so. He looked at photos and videos to see how he would cut it for me. That night he got the scissors, clippers, and other parts ready to get to work the next day. He was more excited than me. I was nervous because he was grinning and looking like he was ready to do an experiment I would later regret. YIKES!!!

My beautiful picture
The next day as I was cutting my hair with the scissors I felt like I was loosing a part of me. I just told myself it was a good thing and continued on. Man that was a LOT of hair. My hubby proceeded with using the clippers to finish it off and shaping it up. We also decided to cut the back at the nape. I showered and washed my hair. It felt funny having some of my hair gone but washing it took less time than usual. Here’s how my hair looks as of today:

My beautiful picture   My beautiful picture
My beautiful picture
In the first pic I show one side with the remaining hair hanging down it. The other side shows where the hair is shaved off. If you look close enough at the first pic you’ll see the hair in the back (at the nape) is shaved too (for the same reason I stated before). I’m going to take extra special care of my shaved hair and pray it too won’t grow back in a damaged state.

My beautiful picture
Today I decided to go with this look. I see women wear pompadours which are really chic. As my hair grows back (thank God I know how to get it to grow) I’ll have to come up with more creative looks. My hair grows fast so I’ll be sure to come back with updates on how it’s coming along. Here are some side views of today’s do.

My beautiful picture  My beautiful picture
I know not everyone will like this look but I don’t care. I like it and so does hubby. One thing I kept telling myself when I first went natural is “You can’t please everyone so don’t worry about what others think. Just rock the look that makes you happy with yourself” and that I do. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Printfriendly