"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands". Prov.14:1 (NASB)

Wednesday, October 7

Shealoe and Flaxseed Gel

I said in my previous post I would tell you about my Shealoe mix. I use it as a body butter and also in my hair to moisturize my twists. Here is the recipe I use:

8 oz. raw unrefined Shea Butter (yellow or white)
1/4 cup EVCO (coconut oil)
1/3 cup Aloe Vera Gel
a few drops of essential oil(s) of your choice (I used sweet orange and grapefruit)

The Shea Butter and coconut oil works best if it’s soft (not melted). Mix all the ingredients with a mixer in a bowl until it looks the consistency of cake frosting. Here are pics of mine:

My beautiful picture    My beautiful picture

Before I end this post let me show you my homemade flaxseed gel:

My beautiful picture You use 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup of Whole Flaxseeds. In a 2 qt. sauce pan bring ingredients to a rolling boil them boil until a gel forms. It can take anywhere from 10-15 minutes for the gel to form. You have to stand there and stir this during that time because you don’t want the seeds sticking to the bottom of the pot. Immediately strain (I use a cheap knee high stocking fitted over a container to strain mine). I used plastic tongs to squeeze out as much gel as possible.

My beautiful picture
This is how it looks when finished (sorry my crappy camera isn't showing the frothy/gel look I see on my end). I add a tsp. of vegetable glycerin, and a few drops of essential oil to preserve it. I keep in the refrigerator until ready to use. It lasts a couple of weeks when kept cold.


No comments:

Printfriendly