"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands". Prov.14:1 (NASB)

Saturday, January 9

My staple hair products and regimen

My beautiful picture *Repost from T0B 2/7/13-

Many in the natural hair community have been known for becoming “product junkies”. I have tried my best to avoid that and just keep my stash at a minimum. Let me tell you it’s kind of hard because there is so much I want to try. At the beginning of each year I think about my hair goals and what I’ll need to accomplish those goals. I keep a list of must haves and add to that as I think of new things along the way. Another thing I do is once during the year I budget to purchase some of the pricier products I’ve had on my list that I wasn’t able to get the last year. This year I plan to get some curl formers, bentonite clay, whole leaf Aloe Vera juice, large butterfly clamps, Meta Grip bobby pins, and a new book on natural hair. Doing my big purchase does not mean I don’t buy hair products throughout the year. I do have to make small purchases every other month or I'd run out of supplies to keep my hair clean and smelling nice.  LOL

My beautiful picture      My beautiful picture
I do have some staple products that I use all the time because they work for me and my budget. Within this post are pics of some of those things. There are other products I use but I have ran out of them so they didn’t make it in the pictures. Some of those are Shea Moisture products, Eco Styler gel, Organic Coconut Oil, and essential oils. I do want to figure out a way to organize and store my things so they will be in one spot that’s easy for me to get to when I need them. At this point I just keep things in the bathroom, on my linen closet shelf, and in the bedroom.

These products you see are part of my regular hair regimen. Since I don’t overbuy on products these get used if not weekly then some time within each month. If you’re interested in my hair care regimen here it is:

My beautiful picture    My beautiful picture
Twice a month I use a sulfate free shampoo with natural ingredients. Other times I just co-wash using a cheap conditioner. My hair gets shampooed or co-washed once a week when the weather is cold and 2-3 times a week when it’s hot. No matter which I do I always condition my hair before proceeding to styling it.

My beautiful picture    My beautiful picture
Once a week I do a deep conditioning. I try to buy deep conditioners that help me detangle my hair with ease. Most of the time I cover my hair with a plastic cap for 30 minutes.

Once a week I try to remember to use my Huetiful Hair Steamer. This is really good to use when doing my deep conditioning.

Every other week I do a hot oil treatment. I wear a plastic cap and a hat for up to an hour when I do this.

    My beautiful picture  I use the flaxseed to make homemade flaxseed gel.

After my hair has been shampooed and conditioned or co-washed, I make sure it’s thoroughly detangled before I put some leave-in conditioner throughout my hair. I section my hair when doing this to make it easier. I also put these sections in fat twists so that my hair won’t tangle back up before I’m finished. By this time my hair is damp instead of soaking wet.

My beautiful picture   My beautiful picture
I add my Shealoe mix or some type of butter, cream, curling pudding or gel to my hair. I work one section at a time being sure to smooth the product all the way through my hair. I do this because my hair is so thick and I want to be sure every strand gets covered. If the product doesn’t already have any natural oils in it, I follow up by using coconut oil to seal in the moisture before putting my hair in twists. I let these air dry.

My beautiful picture   My beautiful picture
At night I sleep with my satin scarf and/or bonnet. My hubby just bought me an Ebonnet to replace those. I will be wearing it for the first time tonight since it just came in the mail yesterday. YAY!!!

My beautiful picture   My beautiful picture
If I need to freshen my hair or retwist it I keep a spray bottle filled with water, a small amount of a natural oil (not always), and a little conditioner. I even add some essential oils for a nice smell.

This pretty much sums up what I do to my hair to maintain and keep it healthy. Whenever I learn something new and helpful I add that to my regimen too. I’ll be back with more hair updates soon. Be blessed!

No comments:

Printfriendly