"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands". Prov.14:1 (NASB)

Tuesday, October 31

Batch {Bulk} Cooking with Pork Butt

I’m back with another batch cooking session. This week I’m sharing different uses for the meat from a whole pork butt roast. I got this pork butt on sale at Aldi for a very reasonable price. As for preparing it first off I thoroughly wash my meat before I start cooking it. Next, I put a seasoning blend all over the whole pork butt (be sure to coat all sides) and place it in the crockpot. I pour a cup of water/broth around the meat and turn the crockpot on to LOW to let cook for 10 hours. I want the meat falling off the bone so this is a great way to cook it for that to happen. Once it is thoroughly done I proceed on to the next part.


I carefully take out big chunks of meat and lay them on a platter. I use two forks to begin shredding (separating) the meat. I continue getting more out of the crockpot and shred until all of the meat has been shredded. I used some to make BBQ pulled pork sandwiches that night for dinner. I separated the pulled pork meat into 2-2.5 cup portions each and put them into quart-size Ziploc bags. We also had some leftover from that night's dinner that I put into a container to have the next day.


As you can see I got 4 bags of each (minus the leftovers in the container) that I pre-labeled, squeezed all the air out of them before closing, and placed in a flat single layer on a baking sheet to freeze. Once it was stiff enough I take the baking sheet out and stack the bags on top of one another in the freezer. Now, what can I use these bags of cooked pulled pork to make?

Shredded ideas:

* BBQ Pizza
* Breakfast Hash
* Fried rice
* Slider (sandwiches)
* Pit beans
* Soup
* Salad
* Chili
* Stew
* Burritos/Wraps
* Quesadillas
* Tacos
* Pulled Pork Loaded Nachos
* Tostadas
* Taquitos
* Enchiladas
* Empanadas
* Put into prepared Mac-n-Cheese then baked til bubbly
* Pull Pork Stuffed Baked Potatoes

These are just examples of the many things you can do. If any other things come to mind, I may come back to add to this list later. I hope I have helped you think of other ways to use up pulled pork besides having days and days and days of BBQ sandwiches. What can you think of that I haven’t added to the lists? Please feel free to let me know in the comments below. I will be back with you next week to share another cooking session.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Printfriendly