"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands". Prov.14:1 (NASB)

Tuesday, September 26

What to do with unused chicken skin & bones?

As promised in yesterday’s batch cooking with chicken quarters post, I’m back with part 2. Today I want to share with y’all what I do with all that liquid left over from cooking the chicken. I will also share what I did with those skin and bones I didn’t throw away so be sure to read to the bottom.

Homemade Chicken Broth

I had mentioned how I seasoned the chicken before cooking it. This was so that the liquid (that is now turned into broth) would have a little flavor added to it. Using the meat, skin, and bones is mainly how that canned chicken broth we see on the store shelves is made. This is why I don’t throw that cooking liquid away. I’m saving money by having my own already made up and it’s healthier because I know what I put in it. After straining the liquid through a big mesh strainer I’m left with a whole lot of broth to use in future meals (see below). I refrigerate it overnight to let the fat rise. You'll want to remove (throw out) that top layer of fat before using your broth.


Chicken bones and skin

As for the bones and skin I put all of that into a gallon Ziploc bag and keep in the freezer until it gets full of bones (ones from future meals we eat). Once the bag gets full I use it to make chicken stock A.K.A. bone broth. I have shared how I make my chicken stock here on the blog so be sure to check that out. Now what can I use all this chicken broth (or stock) for? To amp up the flavor in a meal I prepare. It can replace using plain water in many meals. Use the broth to make anything requiring broth as well as:

* Mashed Potatoes (boil potatoes in broth instead of water)
* Rice (cook rice in broth instead of water)
* Soups
* Chowders
* Stews
* Skillet meals
* Casseroles
* Sauces, ect.

Now you can see why having cooked up a lot of chicken for meals, and having several cups of homemade broth is time saving and economical. If you were wondering, this can be done with bone-in skin-on chicken breasts as well. Next time they are on sale go ahead and stock up on a few packs and give this a try. I will be back next week to share another cooking session with you.

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love using it in mash potatoes, seems to make it smoother.

Tajuana said...

Yes it does :)

Printfriendly