"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands". Prov.14:1 (NASB)

Friday, April 15

What I do with my Pre-cooked Bacon

Happy Good Friday! Easter Sunday is almost here! We prefer to call it Resurrection Day in our house. So I mentioned before that I like to precook bacon to have on hand for later use. You've seen something like it at the grocery store. To make mine more like the store versions I slightly undercook it. To me, undercooked is when the bacon is still soft (not crispy) but looks cooked. I like using the oven to cook large batches of bacon. I put slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Put the pan of bacon in a cold oven then turn it on to 400 degrees. I set the timer for 20 minutes to cook. Regular bacon takes less time than thick-cut bacon. I cook them both this way. We love our bacon CRISPY at my house. But, for those pieces that are slightly undercooked, I just refrigerate and heat them in the microwave for a minute to crisp up to our liking.

For the pieces of bacon that have already reached our desired crispness, I put them in a labeled Ziploc bag and freeze them for later. When I want to use some I just take out as many pieces I need and sit them on the counter for 15 minutes before I use it. I like to break them into pieces or crumble them to use as homemade bacon bits. The majority of the time I don't throw away my bacon grease. I strain it into a Mason jar to let cool down. Sometimes I leave some out to use when I need oil to cook something or I store some in the refrigerator (to extend its shelf life) when I already have a jar in the pantry.

Here are some ideas for using precooked bacon:

soups- stirred in or as a topping for dishes like Ham and Corn Chowder, Chicken and Corn ChowderCarrot Ginger Soup, or  Pumpkin Soup,

salad- think Chef salad, Cobb, etc.

sandwiches/wraps- tastes good in egg salad, stirred into Deviled Eggs, or for making BLTs

breakfast burrito

in scrambled eggs

omelet

quiche

frittata

egg muffins

as a topping for homemade pizza

making dips

throw in with sautéed veggies- sometimes I sub bacon for the sausage in my Fried Cabbage

Used as a topping for baked potatoes (bacon bits) or cheesy grits

pasta dishes

casseroles

There are so many ways to use precooked bacon. Can you think of anything else? You’re only limited to your own imagination ;D


© My Life 0utside The Box 2022. All Rights Reserved. All photos, text, personal videos, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written permission of the blog author.

No comments:

Printfriendly