"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands". Prov.14:1 (NASB)

Wednesday, October 31

Bell Peppers and Onions {Meal Prep}

It seems I use lots of bell peppers and onions during the Fall and Winter months more than any other time of the year. One problem I find in buying bell peppers during this time is that they are more pricey. That’s why I love stocking up on different colored peppers whenever they go on sale in the Summer. I like to buy 2 of the 3 pack peppers with the red, yellow, and orange ones at Aldi when they are under $2. I also grab a 3 pack of green peppers because they are always under $2 anyway. I wait to make stuffed peppers until this time when I get them that cheap. That’s not all I do with the peppers.

DIY frozen Peppers & Onions
Have you ever bought a bag of cut up peppers at the grocery store? They are great to have on hand to cut down on the time it takes to prepare a meal. They are known by different names like Tri Colored Peppers, 3 Pepper and Onion Blend, or Pepper Stir-Fry. Did you know you can make your own peppers and onion blend for a much cheaper price? I have done this for years and wanted to share with you how I do it.

Peppers and Onions blend
I use a green, red, orange, and a yellow bell pepper along with a few onions. I dice up each pepper and put each color into separate bowls. I measure out 1/4 cup of each color pepper to get the equivalent of 1 whole cup of diced peppers. I add that to a labeled quart sized Ziploc freezer bag. I do this for 3 more bags until the peppers are all used. I dice up around 4 small onions measuring almost 1 cup portions to add to each bag of pepper mixture.

From here I’ll either lay the bags flat on a cookie sheet to freeze or pour the peppers and onions out in a single layer to flash freeze. When flash freezing I don’t mix all the contents of each bag together. I use different pans for each bag so that I keep the same ratio I measured. Once they have been in the freezer for 30-45 minutes I add the mixture back to the individual Ziploc bags. Whenever a recipe calls for 1 cup of diced peppers and 1 cup diced onion, a prepared bag of my diced pepper and onion blend comes in handy. They can be used for omelets, skillet meals, casseroles, soup, stews, chowder, or sautéed with other veggies.

Peppers & Onion Mix
Another thing I like to do with my peppers is to slice up each color and divide between 4 (depending on size of peppers) labeled Ziploc bags. I then slice up 2 large onions to divide up and add to this as well. These are like the Stir-Fry Pepper blends you see in your grocer’s freezer section. They are great to use in things like stir-fry's, Fajitas, Quesadillas, as well as Philly Steak and Cheese sandwiches.

Sometimes I do freezer bags with what the Cajuns and Creoles call the “Holy Trinity”. That’s your green bell pepper, onion, and celery blend. I love using those in different meals. I will write up a post on that soon. All in all I have saved time and money prepping meals when I have taken time to slice and dice ahead of time. I know many people may have already done this too, but I hope to have helped someone who had never thought of this before.


© My Life 0utside The Box 2016-2018. All Rights Reserved. All photos, text, personal videos, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written permission of the blog author.

No comments:

Printfriendly