"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands". Prov.14:1 (NASB)

Friday, January 8

You did what???

*Repost from T0B 11/3/14-

For those of you following my natural hair journey I have some news. I decided to cut some inches off my hair. Yes you heard it right…I cut my hair. When I went natural going on 4 years ago, I thought I wouldn’t do any cutting of my natural hair until I let my hair grow for a full 5 years. At that time I also thought I would transition for a whole year without cutting the rest of my permed ends but I didn’t make it past 9 months. Life happens, things change, and people change.

Remember the new cut last May? As of today my hair has grown back to 7”. That’s a lot of hair in a year and a half! Some people will ask me (whether out of curiosity or with a disapproving tone) why did you cut your hair? Before I answer that question let me throw this out there. Through this journey I’ve proven time and again I can grow my hair long in no time, and hey…it’s MY HAIR so I’m pretty sure what I think is what matters most. My hubby also has no problem with it. He wants me to cut it all the way down to a TWA but I think it will be another 5 more years before I’m ready for that :-)

So why did I cut it? How much hair did I cut? How does it look today? I cut my hair because I didn’t like the way it was looking when the hair I cut last year started growing back. That shaved look doesn’t look so hot after the hair grows back in. You go through this awkward stage and well I just didn’t like being limited in my styling options. I had my reasons for doing it then but I won’t be trying that anymore. I’ll shave my whole head bald before I do that again. In July I did cut the front to help with the awkward look, but as my hair continued to grow I hated the look and shape. I kept saying for months I was going to finish cutting it and so I finally cut 4” off the back. My hair was past my bras strap now it’s a few inches above that when it’s stretched/straightened. Here is how my hair looks now:

IMG_20141024_112022IMG_20141024_112030IMG_20141024_115109IMG_20141024_115120

I did a twist~n~curl for this style. Next year this time I’ll have more hair to deal with so I’m enjoying this length for now. I didn’t realize how much easier is to detangle less hair and styling didn’t take as long either. For anyone wondering, I'm not anti perm. Well for me I am but for anyone else...if you know how to have healthy hair with a perm, rock on with your bad self! I ain't hating. Do what works best for you. I went on this journey for a reason and a journey it has been. It has taught me a lot about myself and my hair. I've grown spiritually as well as learning to love me for me in the process. If I had to do it over I'd do it again. Until the next update thanks for reading Smile.

No comments:

Printfriendly