"The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish tears it down with her own hands". Prov.14:1 (NASB)

Sunday, August 11

God’s Plan for Christian Wives

Hello dear readers. I have been thinking for some time about revamping a series of old posts from my old blog back in 2015 (Think Outside the Box). I’m calling this series “God’s Plan for Christian Wives”. It will be a 6 part series where I will come in and share scripture, words, and definitions from the Strong’s Bible Concordance, as well as some other references. I hope you join me each week and even share helpful thoughts as you ponder God’s Word. Let’s begin part 1 with a scripture from the 1st book of the Bible.


Genesis 2:18- To be her husband's help meet

KJV- And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

In the Strong’s Concordance help meet is (#H5828) the word ezer which means- A help, aid, or helper.
This is what a godly wife is to be to her husband. 

This is what I’m continually striving to grow into daily with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Let's take a look at this verse and this word used in different translations:

GNV (Geneva Bible 1599)- Also the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be himself alone: I will make him an help meet for him.

NKJV- And the Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”

AMP- Now the Lord God said, “It is not good (beneficial, sufficient, satisfactory) that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper (one who balances him- a counterpart who is suitable, adapted, complementary) for him.”

ESV- Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”

NASB- Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.”

* See also Genesis 2:20, Proverbs 18:22, Proverbs 31:11, Ecclesiastes 4:9-11, and 1 Corinthians 11:9.

Note: Do you notice in the scriptures it does NOT say anything about a wife her completing her husband? A man nor woman can complete one another. Only God can fill that need in us. To think otherwise is false and worldly thinking. If you don't agree that this is what God is calling a wife to do, I challenge you to first pray for God to lead you to His truth on this matter. Next with an open heart and mind, fully search God’s Word (the scriptures) about this. Once I made up my mind to die to myself, submit to/accept God’s Will on this, I was able to understand what He was calling me to do. I have not regretted making that decision.

Here is a commentary by John Gill with a good explanation of what this scripture is saying.

Let’s us pray to be in God’s Will as godly wives:
Dear Heavenly Father, Thank You for showing us in Your Word the purpose for why You created Eve for Adam. You are the one who said it was not good for man to be alone and you created a help meet for him. This shows us wives what Your purpose is for our own marriages. Forgive us Father for not obeying You in this either through our lack of knowledge of the scriptures, or by not submitting to You through willful disobedience. Help us Holy Spirit to do God’s Will by being a help meet to our own husbands in Jesus’ name. Amen.

***Update: Here are the other parts of this series:
How to be a Help meet
Part 2- The Wife who fears the Lord
Excellent Wife Traits
Part 3- You should not deprive your husband
Part 4- Willing Submit to his God-given authority
When wives shows a lack of submission
Part 5- A wife's God-given role
More on Titus chapter 2
Part 6- Wives with an unsaved husband
Submission is NOT...

© My Life 0utside The Box 2016-2019. All Rights Reserved. All photos, text, personal videos, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written permission of the blog author.

2 comments:

Regina said...

I love being referred to as my husband's Helpmeet. You should have heard the feminists complaining when I referred to a certain reality wife as a good Helpmeet to her husband. "Helpmeet? We aren't in the 1800s!" Several sweet ladies reminded them that it's Biblical.
Then of course there are those who want to believe only what they want to believe and discard what God's Word for Christian wives.

Tajuana said...

When I embraced being my husband's helpmeet it was the best decision ever! I love my God-given role. I wasn't taught anything about being a wife prior to marriage. By the grace of God, I have grown and still growing in my role. I'm thankful to all the ladies who are committed to living as biblical wives. I have learned so much from their examples.

It's really sad to see so many women in the body of Christ not wanting to embrace God's will for them as wives. They don't understand (like Eve) how deceived they are.

Printfriendly